Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Component of Lighting

The Conjuring-










In the Conjuring the cinematographer uses low key lighting to show the audience it is a horror film. This is because low key lighting is used to create a dark, mysterious atmosphere, as this is a maim convention of horror films.
You can see this film is a horror film as the use of low-key lighting in this movie which was full of the use of deep shadows and was mainly set at night time. Most of the light came from the sun or using the torch.
This technique made me feel very uneasy as I could hardly see anything due to the lack of light. It also made me feel quite on edge as I was constantly expecting something to jump out of the shadows to cause a jump scare. I felt like I was in the film as everything was dark and the fear of not knowing what is in front of you was so real.
This helps me understand the genre of film as I can tell straight away from the lack of light it is going to be a horror. Even when everything looks calm the lack of lighting always brings back the reality that the film is a horror due to the suspense I felt while the lighting was low.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Memento mori - Evaluation

During this task, we chose to make a short horror film, showing the contrast between evil and innocence, using the portrayal of day and nigh...